Finally, the GTK2 (GNOME2) port of Kino has arrived! It was not a simple, straight port. We tried to make nice improvements to the GUI overall. Plus, there is a new feature, a scriptable Export/DV Pipe.
This is a major new release containing mainly a port to GTK2-based libglade.
There are still some GNOME dependencies although tight integration with
GNOME is not a goal, and we are striving to remove GNOME dependencies as
GTK expands. (Except we reserve the privelege to use the libgnomecanvas in
the future for a multi-track timeline.)
We prepared all GUI-oriented strings in the code as well as libglade for
non-English translations. We invite volunteers to prepare translations.
Perhaps the biggest change is the Storyboard view--called "scene list" in
previous versions of the online help. This version can display additional
metadata and sits within an adjustable (paned) frame. The information display
and command entry, etc., at the bottom of the window is more simple and
concise now. There is a pulldown to select the format of time information
used throughout. Overall, there are numerous GUI changes to make it tighter.
In particular, tabs are consistently on the right side now, the timeline
is faster and displays time, and window state is retained across sessions.
An interesting new feature is Export/DV Pipe extensible through shell scripts.
Basically, it makes Kino pipe raw DV to the script. This is very handy to use
with tools like smilutils and ffmpeg. Some example scripts are included, and
scripts are installed at $prefix/share/kino/scripts/exports.
Regarding plugins, existing plugins are not compatible and must be ported to
GTK2 as well. Currently, kinoplus and dvtitler have been ported and will be
released very soon.
Changes in version 0.7.0:
Changes by Dan Dennedy:
- GNOME2/GTK2 port using libglade
- added new Storyboard view class.
- Consolidated Preferences/Display/Fixed image size with View/ 50/100% percent
and added new Auto Fill option, which does not use Fixed image size.
- preferences.cc: bugfix saving dv/1394 export pre-roll
- run astyle on all code to cleanup formatting
- ieee1394io.cc, page_capture.cc: bugfix to properly handle dv device in
record (camera) mode
- filehandler.cc: bugfix quicktime audio reading with patch from Richard
- preferences_dialog.cc, ieee1394io.cc: do not try to read 1394 rom further
if error is returned on getting directory (usually due to a hub device)
- added keyboard accelerators for view 50/100/auto
- page_editor.cc, page_trim.cc: make videoShuttle not stop/start playback
threads. Also, fix jumpiness behavior in page_editor.cc.
- preferences.cc: change default file format to raw DV, and default
syt_offset to 0.
- page_export_mjpeg.cc: set aspect flag on mpeg2enc.
- page_capture.cc: make AV/C button a toggle button to represent current
- preferences.cc, commands.cc: save and restore window state between sessions.
- kino_common.cc: remember and use current directory for insert and append
dialogs as well as Open/Save. Added getLastDirectory() method.
Changes by Charles Yates
- pixbuf unaccelerated previews
- timeline clean up/speed up
- modified plugin directory to $prefix/lib/kino-gtk2
- failed to fix load splash - attempted to make safe
- improved click on fx preview behaviour (returns to last page)
- removed 'return to render' fx key press
- removed yuv2divx (and good riddance)
- cleaned up export presentation a bit
- removed confusing 'advanced' button from fx frame selection
- turned on low quality and audio previews by default
- GUI tuning for export, preview and storyboard
- DV Pipe Export
- Provided ffmpeg_divx.sh and ffmpeg_vcd.sh as export scripts
- Provided ffmpeg_mp3.sh export script
- Provided rawplay.sh export script
- Corrected ffmpeg/mp3lame dependent scripts
- Storyboard redraw and select propogation corrections
- partial V4L fix up
- added IsUsable to plug-in api (to allow run time dependency checks)